#toyhunt Bangkok: Pirom Plaza

UPDATE (Nov 30, 2014): And while I've not been able to authenticate this myself, seems there have been sow changes, thanks to a headsup from birdhaus73 (As seen in this post's comments section):
"I was here two weeks ago, Pirom Plaza is now called Always One and there aren't as many stores anymore, though still more than I get in my town, most have gone across the road to Mega Plaza. I didn't go into the iron bridge market rather I walked through it closest to the footpath. "

(Below-left: Side Entrance from Iron Bridge Market
Below-right: Main frontage entrance for Pirom Plaza)

As you trek thru the narrow corridor of Talat Saphan Lek AKA The Iron Bridge Market, you'd reach a point where it filters to a side entrance to another spot, a mall actually, known as "Pirom Plaza". You'll be greeted by a slight breeze, and you'll be glad you stepped into where toy-dreams greet you...

It was as if the mall was made JUST FOR TOYS. Folks entering the main entrance way (from the main street/road out front) will be greeted by larger than life statues of The Hulk, Batman, Iron Man etc … inside, the first floor seemed to be lined side-by-side with toy shops. I suddenly felt I was "back" in Hong Kong! Not too far a concept from China Square Central too methinks, but of course with more shops to choose from.





The main lobby shops sold predominately production fare, featuring mixed brands from both the East and West - seemingly legit products, unlike their kin just a corridor away (I did not ask otherwise). Featured were larger scaled toys and collectibles, from boxed action figures to statuettes - essentially standard stuff found at most toy stores. And there seems loads of folks packing the space tho, but then again I visited the spot on a Sunday mid-day.





Within the complex had other shops whose predominant displays were clear boxes filled with dizzying amount of stacked and displayed toys! Collector-rental display space/ cabinets was somewhat the "fad" in Singapore a few years ago, where toy collectors or retailers would display their wares - be it 2nd hand or re-sale items - to be sold to the public. The cost borne would be the rental of the display space, and perhaps commissioned percentage of the items on sale, which most times necessitates a markup of the toy, to make-up for the difference.

I do not know if this was case here in this mall and shops, but given some of the prices spotted, it might not be a place to look for bargains per se, but perhaps a swell spot to hunt for toys you might have missed in your collecting journey, bathed in the comforts of air-conditioning MUHAHAHAHAHAHA



(S.W.A.T. & Law Enforcement "designer toys" designed in Thailand)

Strangely enough, I did not notice an obvious "art toy" presence, as opposed to the mass toy brands like Medicom, Hot Toys, NECA etc … or maybe my eye-sight was not spectacular that day (true story) and might have missed out on loads of stuff - and I truly did, unfortunately ... And since my Stroke back in late-2010, I have not been able to actively squat down, which meant a entire level of bottom-placed showcases have missed my vision! LOL

My visual sense were assaulted (but in a good way), and could barely focus on toys-ironically since I used to be pretty good at spotting smaller-scaled items, especially if they could be used as 1/6th-scale "props" for my 12" figures hahaha



(The allure of vintage Ultraman and Tigerman and other anime-themed toys)

Besides the lack of art toys, the mixture was literally "everything else"! From obscure 1/6th to vintage Ultraman, from Gundams to gasaphons, the spread was indeed decently appealing! Besides toys, genre-related items could also be found, like comicbook adaptations and merchandise. Also, keep a lookout for any toys displayed in the nooks-n-crannies of shops (some items of course are too huge to fit into the cases;p), remember; "One Man's Unpopular Toy Might Be Another Collector's Toy-Grail" :)



Pieces each have their own price tags, and you could ask each individual shop's minders/assistants to unlock and open the clear cabinet doors, to have a closer look at the toys, and yes you can paw them to your hearts' contents! (Okay, so maybe don't be a schmuck like that LOL). Let the assistants know if you want it or not, and they'll either put the item back themselves (conscious about placement of items with price tag visible, no doubt), or bring it to the cashiers and ring up your purchase. Easy peasy no fuss … I did not heck if they had "credit" facilities tho … :)

I only managed to take a few snaps on my iPhone4, and i'll let the pics "speak" for themselves. All the images and more, has since been uploaded HERE in my dedicated Facebook album :)


Funnily, I decided on a few pieces to buy, to mark my visit, and a reminder to myself to return one day, and take my sweetasstime to scour thru each and every display hahahahaha (I had to rush back to an event, and time was extremely limited). And I would gladly come back too, as the mall is comfortably air-conditioned (as I have mentioned time and again - hey! I appreciate the air-con, okay? LOL), and even had drinks stalls to help refresh my palate (and replace my diminished drool from gawking at the toys hahahaha).

Most definitely a spot to return to next time I'm in Bangkok … so who's gonna take me thee / come along with me? :)

Cheers
Andy TOYSREVIL
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program also provides a means to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

POPULAR-EST OF TOYSREVIL POSTS FOR THE PAST WEEK